Cable, D. (2021) Turn Your Boring Job Into a Job You’ll Love Harvard Business Review, Feb 16.
Cable, D. (2020) What You Should Follow Instead of Your Passion Harvard Business Review, Nov 24.
Cable, D. (2020) You Need a Personal Highlight Reel Harvard Business Review, Oct 14.
Cable, D. (2018) The Most Powerful Lesson My Cancer Taught Me About Life and Work Harvard Business Review, Oct 8.
Cable, D. & Vermeulen, F. (2018) Making work meaningful: A leader’s guide McKinsey Quarterly, October.
Cable, D. (2018) Starting a new job is stressful. But what if there was a better way to do it? TED, Sept 6.
Cable, D. (2018) How Humble Leadership Really Works. Harvard Business Review, April 23.
Cable, D. (2018) Why People Lose Motivation — and What Managers Can Do to Help. Harvard Business Review, March 12.
Cable, D. (2017) Interview advice for MBAs: be as open as you dare. Financial Times
Cable, D., & Elsbach, K. (2017) Winning Ways. London Business School Review, 3, 74-77.
Birkinshaw, J. & Cable, D. M. (2017) Too Much Information. London Business School Review, 3, 30-33.
Steinhage, A., Cable, D. & Wardley, D. (2017) The Pros and Cons of Competition Among Employees Harvard Business Review, March.
Birkinshaw, J. & Cable, D. (2017) The dark side of transparency McKinsey Quarterly. February.
Cable, D. (2016) Creative Job Titles Can Energize Workers Harvard Business Review, May, 24-25.
Cable, D. & Vermeulen, F. (2016) Stop Paying Executives for Performance Harvard Business Review Online, Feb 23.
Cable, D., Gino, F. & Staats, B. (2013) Reinventing Employee Onboarding. MIT Sloan Management Review, 54, 23-28. Reprint 54321.
Elsbach, K., & Cable, D. (2012) Why Showing Your Face at Work Matters. MIT Sloan Management Review, 53, 10-12.
Cable, D. (2008) Strange Success. Business Strategy Review, 19, 44-47.
48. Zou, X., Wildschut, T., Cable, D. M. & Sedikides, C. (2018) Nostalgia for Host Culture Facilitates Repatriation Success: The Role of Self-Continuity. Self and Identity.
47. Moore, C., Lee, Kim, K. & Cable, D. (2017) The Advantage of Being Oneself: The Role of Applicant Self-Verification in Organizational Hiring Decisions. Journal of Applied Psychology.
46. Inesi, E. & Cable, D. M. (2015) When Accomplishments Come Back to Haunt You: The Negative Effect of Competence Signals on Women’s Performance Evaluations. Personnel Psychology, 68, 463-719. Paper subsequently awarded ‘Best Paper of 2015’.
45. Slaughter, J., Cable, D. M. & Turban, D. (2014) Changing Job Seekers’ Image Perceptions during Recruitment Visits: The Moderating Role of Belief Confidence. Journal of Applied Psychology, 99, 1146-1158.
44. Grant, A., Berg, J. & Cable, D. M. (2014) Job Titles as Identity Badges: How Self-Reflective Titles Can Reduce Emotional Exhaustion. Academy of Management Journal, 57, 1201-1225.
43. Carson Marr, J. & Cable, D. M. (2014) Do Interviewers Sell Themselves Short? The Effect of Selling Orientation on Interviewers’ Judgments. Academy of Management Journal, 57, 624-651.
42. Cable, D. M., Gino, F. & Staats, B. (2013) Breaking them in or eliciting their best? Reframing socialization around newcomers’ authentic self-expression. Administrative Science Quarterly, 58, 1-36. Awarded ‘Best Paper Published During 2013’ by the Academy of Management (OB Division).
41. Cable, D. M. & Kay, V. (2012) Striving for self verification during organizational entry. Academy of Management Journal, 55, 360–380. Paper was awarded ‘Best Competitive Paper’ by the Academy of Management (OB Division), and also was awarded McKinsey’s Best Practical Implications Award.
40. Sumanth, J. & Cable, D. M. (2011) Status and organizational entry: How organizational and individual career status affect reactions to hiring processes. Personnel Psychology, 64, 963-1000.
39. Judge, T. A. & Cable, D. M. (2011) When It Comes To Pay, Do the Thin Win? The Effect of Weight on Pay for Men and Women. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 95-112.
38. Yu, K. Y. T. & Cable, D. M. (2011) Exploring the identity and reputation of departmental groups: Whose opinions matter most to their members? Human Resource Management Journal, 21(2), 105-121.
37. Elsbach, K. & Cable, D. M. (2010) How passive ‘face time’ affects perceptions of employees: Evidence of spontaneous trait inference. Human Relations, 63, 735–760. Awarded ‘Paper of the Year 2010’ by Human Relations.
36. Edwards, J. R. & Cable, D. M. (2009). The value of value congruence. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94, 654-677.
35. Kim, T. Y., Cable, D., Kim, S. & Wang, J. (2009). Emotional competence and work performance – the mediating effect of proactivity and the moderating effect of job autonomy. Journal of Organizational Behavior.
34. Furst, S. A. & Cable, D. M. (2008). Employee resistance to organizational change – Managerial influence tactics and leader-member exchange. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93, 453-462.
33. Judge, T. A., Colbert, A., Cable, D. M. & Rynes, S. (2007) What causes a management article to be cited – article, author, or journal? Academy of Management Journal, 50, 491-506.
32. Voss, Z., Cable, D.M. & Voss G. (2006) Organizational identity and firm performance: What happens when leaders disagree about ‘who we are?’ Organization Science, 17, 741-755.
31. Cable, D. M. & Yu, T. K. Y. (2006) Managing Job Seekers’ Organizational Image Beliefs: The Role of Media Richness and Media Credibility. Journal of Applied Psychology, 91, 828-840.
30. Edwards, J.R., Cable, D., Williamson, I., Lambert, L. & Shipp, A. (2006) The Phenomenology of Fit: Linking the Person and Environment to the Subjective Experience of Person-Environment Fit. Journal of Applied Psychology, 91, 802-827.
29. Kim, T. Y., Cable, D. & Kim, S. P. (2005) Socialization Tactics, Employee Proactivity, and Person-Organization Fit. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90, 232-241.
28. Judge, T. A., Cable, D. M. (2004) The effect of physical height on workplace success and income. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89, 428-441.
27. Cable, D. M & Edwards, J. R. (2004) Complementary and Supplementary Fit: A Theoretical and Empirical Integration. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89, 822-834.
26. Williamson, I. O. & Cable, D. M. (2003) Predicting early career research productivity: The case of management faculty. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24, 25-44.
25. Cable, D. & Turban, D. (2003) The value of reputation in a recruitment context. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 33, 2244-2266.
24. Lambert, L., Edwards, J.R., Cable, D. M. (2003) Breach and Fulfillment of the Psychological Contract: A Comparison of Traditional and Expanded Views. Personnel Psychology, 56, 895-934.
23. Turban, D. & Cable, D. (2003) Firm Reputation and Applicant Pool Characteristics. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24, 733-751.
22. Williamson, I. O. & Cable, D. M. (2003) Interfirm network ties, interorganizational imitation, and organizational hiring patterns. Academy of Management Journal, 46, 349-358.
21. Cable, D. M. & Judge, T. A. (2003) Managers’ Upward Influence Tactic Strategies: The Role of Manager Personality and Supervisor Leadership Style. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24, 197-214.
20. Cable, D. M. & DeRue, S. (2002) The Construct, Convergent, and Discriminant Validity of Subjective Fit Perceptions. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87, 875-884.
19. Shane, S. & Cable, D. (2002) Network ties, reputation, and the financing of new ventures. Management Science, 48, 364-381.
18. Cable, D. M. & Parsons, C. (2001) Socialization Tactics and Person-Organization Fit. Personnel Psychology, 54, 1-22.
17. Aiman-Smith, L., Bauer, T. & Cable, D. M. (2001) Are you attracted? Do you intend to pursue? A recruiting policy-capturing study. Journal of Business and Psychology, 16, 219-237.
16. Cable, D. M. & Parsons, C. (2001) Cutting Off Your Nose to Spite Your Face: Effects of Justice on Students’ Decisions to Damage the Reputational Rankings of Their Alma Maters. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 31, 59-72.
15. Graham, M. & Cable, D. M. (2001) Consideration of the incomplete block design for policy-capturing research. Organizational Research Methods, 4, 26-45. Paper won Best Paper Award in the Research Methods Division at the 1998 National Academy of Management Meetings.
14. Voss, G., Cable, D. & Voss, Z. (2000) Linking Organizational Values to Relationships with External Constituents: A Study of Nonprofit Professional Theatres. Organization Science, 11, 330-347.
13. Judge, T. A., Higgins, C. A. & Cable, D. M. (2000) The employment interview: A review of recent research and recommendations for future research. Human Resource Management Review, 10, 383-406.
12. Cable, D. M. & Graham, M. (2000) The Determinants of Organizational Reputation: A Job Search Perspective. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 21, 929-947.
11. Cable, D. M., Mulvey, P., Aiman-Smith, L. & Edwards, J. R. (2000) The sources and accuracy of job seekers’ organizational culture beliefs. Academy of Management Journal, 43, 1076-1085.
10. Parsons, C.K., Cable, D. & Wilkerson, J.M. (1999) Assessment of applicant work values through interviews: The impact of focus and functional relevance. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 72, 561-566.
9. Cable, D. M. & Murray, B. (1999) Tournament vs. sponsored mobility determinants of job search success. Academy of Management Journal, 42, 439-449.
8. Cable, D. M. & Gilovich, T. (1998) Looked-over or overlooked? The effect of interviewers’ prescreening decisions on post-interview evaluations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 83, 501-508.
7. Cable, D. M. & Shane, S. (1997). A prisoner’s dilemma approach to entrepreneur-venture capitalist relationships. Academy of Management Review, 22, 142-176. Paper subsequently printed in Paul Westhead and Michael Wright (Eds.) Advances in Entrepreneurship, London, Edward Elgar Publishing, 1999.
6. Judge, T. A. & Cable, D. (1997) Applicant personality, organizational culture, and job choice decisions. Personnel Psychology, 50, 359-394.
5. Cable, D. & Judge, T. A. (1997) Interviewers’ perceptions of person-organization fit and organizational selection decisions. Journal of Applied Psychology, 82, 546-561.
4. Cable, D. & Judge, T. A. (1996) Person-organization fit, job choice decisions, and organizational entry. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 67, 294-311.
3. Welbourne, T. & Cable, D. (1995) Group incentives and pay satisfaction: Understanding the relationship through an identity theory perspective. Human Relations, 48, 711-726.
2. Judge, T. A., Cable, D. M., Boudreau, J. W. & Bretz, R. D. Jr. (1995) An empirical investigation of the predictors of executive career success. Personnel Psychology, 48, 485-519.
1. Cable, D. M. & Judge, T. A. (1994) Pay preferences and job search decisions: A person-organization fit perspective. Personnel Psychology, 47, 317-348.